Do you know what gets us up in the morning? Justice. (We literally have that phrase plastered on our coffee mugs. That's how zealous we are). We envision a society that respects the dignity of every single person and are fighting to realize this every day. To tackle the most pressing injustices of our day. To explicitly, pointedly and effectively reduce the burdens of the justice system on people of color. To secure equal justice, end mass incarceration, and strengthen families and communities around the country.
Who We Are
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, envisions a society that respects the dignity of every person and safeguards justice for everyone. Vera is committed to securing equal justice, ending mass incarceration, and strengthening families and communities.
- We study problems that impede human dignity and justice.
- We pilot solutions that are transformative and achievable.
- We engage diverse communities in informed debate.
- We harness the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice.
We work with others who share our vision to tackle the most pressing injustices of our day—from mass incarceration, racial disparities, and the loss of public trust in law enforcement to the unmet needs of the vulnerable, the marginalized, and those harmed by crime and violence. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace—specifically, we value diverse experiences with regard to educational background and justice system contact. We hire employees that reflect our values: respect, independence, collaboration, and commitment.
What You'll Do
The Special Events Coordinator assists the Special Events Manager in all aspects of planning, production, and execution of cultivation events and the Annual Gala. The coordinator also assists other Development team members as needed.
The Special Events Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Researching vendors/venues and obtaining cost estimates and coordinating with existing vendors.
- Creating invite lists and tracking attendees.
- Coordinating with designer on invitations.
- Assisting in tracking budget and payments to vendors.
- Assisting where applicable with other Vera departments in planning cultivation events.
- Assisting with gathering, ordering (where applicable) materials for events including Vera swag and brochures.
- Working with Finance to track payments and coordinate with Special Events Officer in making payments to vendors.
- Coordinating, scheduling and attending event check-ins with other Vera departments as applicable.
- Coordinating and attending production calls with vendors and keep track of vendor deliverables.
- Attending and assisting with all tasks as applicable on the day of the event, including event set up, guest registration, activity tracking based on run of show, and closing out at the end of the event.
- Entering attendance data in our CRM.
- Creating attendance reports.
- Assisting with closing out with vendors.
- Assisting Special Events Officer in event data management and analysis including gathering quantitative and qualitative data to evaluate outcomes.
- Assisting in the development of quality control for list tracking and recording data.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Need in You
- An Associate degree in a related field is required; Bachelors degree preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in hospitality, event planning, donor cultivation and/or related fundraising work.
- Strong and demonstrated interest in justice reform and fundraising preferred
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Prior administrative work experience, preferably in a development or non-profit context.
- Ability to take initiative and remain flexible under tight deadlines while working in a fast-paced and complex organization.
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively within a tight-knit team dynamic, preferred.
- Solid working knowledge of database management, Word, and Excel.
Based on experience and including excellent benefits. Vera believes in compensating its staff members at or above market.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Online submission in PDF format is preferred. However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
ATTN: Human Resources / Special Events Coordinator
Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A, Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status or current employment status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.